The Patient Participation Group [PPG] is independent but works in a close and positive partnership with the Rothschild House Surgery [RHS]. All its members are volunteers and RHS patients. PPG speaks for patients, bringing their concerns and experiences forward to influence the way care is delivered. One of the GPs, usually Dr. Jon Hykin and a member of the Management Team attend PPG meetings. It is not a forum for individual complaints which are resolved by a robust separate process – see the complaints policy.
It is important that PPG represents all patients, so we have increased our membership significantly this year, but we need more members aged 20 to 45 years with young families to represent this group of patients. Most encouragingly a series of presentations by Dr Jon Hykin at Tring School has generated interest in the PPG by Tring School students.
We have set up a champion system where individual PPG members speak up for particular groups. So far we have been able to represent those with long term conditions, carers, the disabled and vulnerable and those with dementia.
PPG also feeds into the wider NHS network amplifying patient voices and influencing the way services develop, particularly across borders into Buckinghamshire. We also played a part when the practice was inspected in 2017.
PPG News Summary
A more detailed May 2017 newsletter is available to download in Acrobat (pdf) format, but here are the highlights:
- Markyate Surgery Merger – Tring PPG has held meetings with Markyate PPG to ensure both sets of patients’ interests are protected and any concerns raised. We will continue to meet in future.
- Purple Star Award – the surgery was presented with its award on 26th April, recognising the hard work of a health service in improving the health outcomes for people with learning disabilities. This accreditation was sought at the suggestion of the PPG.
- Dacorum GP Federation –Dr Sissou made a brief presentation at the May PPG meeting about Dacorum GP Federation, which is working to pool resources and transfer more services into the community from hospital-based delivery.
- Future PPG Activities – we are supporting the surgery in planning a future open event for young people, to help them learn more about services designed for them and give them the opportunity to share their views with the doctors. We also plan to help Tring School students gain experience of the health sector by participating in the PPG’s work.
- Membership – we are pleased to report that several new members have joined the PPG since January.
- Complaints – a reminder that for reasons of patient confidentiality the PPG is unable to take up individual complaints which should be directed in the first instance to Lisa Flaherty, Assistant Practice Manager as outlined on the feedback section of the website.
George Edwards, Chair
Rothschild House Surgery Patient Participation Group
PPG Members (attending meetings every 6 to 8 weeks)
- John Allan – Vice-Chair
- Angela Bruce
- Jacqueline Dawson
- Brian Edwards
- George Edwards – Chair
- Julia Groom
- Christine Hyde
- Bernard Lloyd
- Piquita Robinson-labbett
- Barry Salmon
- Shelley Savage
- Irene Short
Virtual PPG Members (taking part by email)
- Lynda Ashton
- Michael Bernstein
- Maisie Bradfield
- Chris Burrows
- Aime Cahill
- Avril Davies
- Tegan Davis
- Robert Kayum
- Karen Lem
- Saeed Moosa
- Beccy Webb
- Phil Wilcock